Wednesday

Drink What's Left

Loosely I throw out words
About my days as they pass. Cold heart
I’ve got ‘cause I won’t look at my past.
Won’t look into my momma’s eyes. At least
I won’t break, but crack so tread light
‘Cause all this built up time just might
Overflow. It’s easy; just cup your hands
Let it drip into your palms, drink what’s left.

I can’t sleep when I get too much.
I lay there my songs gather. Don’t touch
My hair like that, you said we were done
With this. I told you all my secrets, but one.

Into this world I came; into my grandma’s arms.
She swore to keep me safe; I’d come to no harm.

Yellow walls and spinning clothes
Bring the melancholy out. Just hold
On to it so you can use it to write
All your sad pop songs; riffs in fingers wrapped tight.
I throw them, let my fingers slip as they fall.
All my silver rings glint. I recall
A bracelet made of silver spoons
Engraved “Jane”, but you pawned that one off too.

Forgive easily; they all do but me.
I’ve no need for unhealthy company.
Is it wrong to shake things off so fast?
My family says it is, but I’ll take the chance.

Into this world I came; into my grandma’s arms.
She swore to keep me safe; I’d come to no harm.